The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is seeking bilingual volunteers to offer legal aid to low-income new immigrants. They are looking for volunteers who are fluent in Spanish, Farsi, Dari, Bangla, Arabic, Korean, or Mandarin. This provides a valuable opportunity for students interested in pursuing legal careers (but note that this volunteer position is unpaid). The volunteer program is scheduled from September 2032 to June 2024. See below for more information. Here is the link to the application form: https://www.tfaforms.com/5078012.
The NYIC is seeking volunteers who are bilingual in English and Spanish, Farsi, Dari, Bangla, Arabic, Korean, or Mandarin to join its Key to the City (KTTC) Volunteer Cohort. KTTC is a program that connects immigrant and low-income New Yorkers to resources and services available in their community. We are excited to be partnering with the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) to offer free legal consultations at these fairs. However, we are in need of volunteers that help us increase our language capacity to better serve the communities in need. This program year will run between September 2023 to June 2024 and during that time, members of this cohort will engage in the following:
- Legal Clinic Support (e.g., interpretation & intake form) – Law students doing intake can apply these volunteer hours towards the 50-hour Pro Bono requirement for admission to the NYS Bar.
- Logistical Support (e.g., registration, resource distribution, and food distribution)
- Outreach (e.g. distribute flyers)
To join this cohort, volunteers must:
- Be 18 years old;
- Be bilingual in English and Spanish, Farsi, Dari, Bangla, Mandarin, and Korean;
- Participate in at least 6 volunteer opportunities throughout the program year;
- And attend an in-person orientation. We will announce another orientation date soon.
Interested parties must fill out a KTTC Volunteer Cohort Sign-up Form (https://www.tfaforms.com/5078012), and we will follow up with next steps. We would appreciate it if you could share the information above and/or the attached flyer with students, faculty, or anyone who is interested!
In addition, if there are any upcoming career fairs where we could promote our volunteer opportunities to students, we would love the opportunity to participate!
If anyone is interested in getting involved with the NYIC in a different capacity, please see other volunteer opportunities here (https://www.nyic.org/get-involved/volunteer/).